Sunday, January 4, 2009

Cardiac Catheterization

Tuesday, December 23rd arrived, and I was scared, nervous, and very anxious about my cardiac catheterization. I entered a pre-operation room that looked like a zoo of people also having the same procedure. However, there was one big difference between myself and the others- I was the ONLY young one there! The nurses told me I was the youngest they had seen in years!

After having an IV put in and several other procedural tasks completed, I was finally wheeled into one of the hospital's “brand new” Cardiac Catheterization Labs (similar to a smaller Operating Room). I was under the understanding that I would be sedated or put into “Twilight” for my procedure….well, that never happened! This made me very scared and nervous. Shortly into the procedure, the newly installed and brand new machine that was being used for my procedure lost power! A few minutes later, the surgeon was able to get it working again- Praise the Lord! After about an hour or so of different catheterization wires being placed inside my groin which led up to my heart, various induced palpitations, chemical contrasts, and medications inserted through my IV- the procedure was finally finished!


The Cardiac Catheterization was an exploratory procedure in order to help my doctor's better understand what might be best for the health of my heart in the future. The procedure confirmed some information that was already known and revealed other information as well (more to follow in future posts).


Following the procedure, I was wheeled into a loud recovery room where I had to lay flat for four hours without moving so that the bleeding would begin to stop and the wound site would begin to heal. After a long wait, my parents and I were able to go home later that evening- Praise God!


The next few days were very painful and sore at the incision site near my groin (not an easy location to avoid when walking, sitting, etc.)! I was not allowed to take pain medications, so it took four days or so to begin feeling better. However, the joy of being with family and meditating on Christ's birth nearly 2,000 years ago certainly helped me to get into the spirit of the season.


January 1st was the first day I truly began to feel like myself again- Praise God! I have learned to take every day one step at a time-Literally!


For more information about Cardiac Catheterizations,click here


My family and I greatly appreciate your prayers during these uncertain times- we praise God for such an incredible support system of family, friends, and the church.

7 comments:

  1. Heids,

    We're praying for your appointments this week. We love you so much. Psalm 46:1-2, "God is our refuge and our strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore, we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea." This Psalm may not always be easy to proclaim, but we pray that God's Word would be on your lips as you consider your present situation.

    Love you!

    Whit and Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi,
    Good luck with your appointments this week.
    Your in my prayers!!!!

    Love ya!
    Mike R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing you at lunch sometime this week Mike! thanks so much!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I certainly hope that I am doing this correctly and not revealing too much of my own "special needs" when it comes to technology. What a great gift this site is for you Heidi and I anxiously read every word. It's a great thing to be able to use the net as a source of positive information and to provide the opportunity to remember someone in prayer. My fervant hope (Post's Possibility) is that I get the opportunity to watch Heidi teach a group of youngsters. Heidi - you have so much to offer - even this tough health road that you are sharing with us now.
    Prof Post
    By the way, I see that your Moraine grade was an A (which I figure you won't mind if I put on the blog, although I suupose I have to watch what other sorts of information I might reveal). Do you get a chance to edit this stuff???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi
    You are so brave to be going through all of this. I'm so honored to know you an have you share your amazing story with me. I knew God woulod bring you through this with flying colors, He couldn't take such a special person away for us. I love you and I can't waite until I can see you again.
    Miss ya Love ya
    Jeanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heidi,
    Prayers are coming your way from Northern Virginia. We love you!
    The Ponds
    Mark, Cara, Ashley & Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heidi,
    When I heard about all that was going on with you, I immediately thought about the video you made (and had some technical problems with) that you showed for chapel. You continue to be an inspiration for many people. I'm looking forward to the day when you have your own special group of students to teach. You are in my prayers.
    Dr. Snoeyink

    ReplyDelete